Thursday, July 08, 2010

Thread stash!

Because Sew, Mama, Sew! asked...

The fantabulous thread holder!

How did you select colors for your personal thread collection?
I am a fan of bright colors so when I am buying thread I always scan the brights first.

Do you always match the color perfectly to your project?
I'm not very particular about matching. Sometimes I just like to use up the last bits from a spool of thread when I know the stitching won't show. Other times I try to match and still other times I want there to be a lot of contrast.

Do you ever use contrasting thread?
I like to use contrasting thread depending on the project. I am really into thread sketching which calls for a lot of contrast. It's really fun to see a design build up simply by using thread.

The fantabulous thread holder!

Do you use the same color in the bobbin as the upper thread?
I try to keep the colors with the spool and bobbin similar just in case I get my tension wonky and the bobbin thread shows in the quilt top.

What if a fabric has big areas of very different colors?
When fabric has a large area of one color and smaller areas of another, I try to match the thread with the largest color area.

Do you have any tips or suggestions about choosing thread?
I am a trial and error quilter but I tend to stick to 100% cotton thread. I do have a lot of polyester thread from way back in the day which I only use on wall hangings. Like fabric with like thread is my sewing motto!

Spools!

Can you show us a picture(s) of your thread collection?
I love taking photos of my thread collection ever since my husband build me this very fine spool holder. It's like a work of art hanging on my wall.

Do you ever buy thread because you fall in love with the color (without a particular project in mind)?
I have bought some spools because of their color. Some I've had for years just waiting to be used. My recent foray into thread sketching has allowed me to use all those colors I just had to have.

Spools!

Do you “invest” in thread?
This spring I decided to invest in a number of thread sets from Connecting Threads. I've been really pleased with the quality of the thread for the price. I machine quilt my own quilt sandwiches so I need to have a lot of thread on hand and that is easily done with Connecting Threads.

What types of thread do you have? (elastic, quilting, all-purpose, wool, etc.)
I really don't have anything more exciting than 100% cotton thread with the occasional spool of poly. I've never tried using elastic/wool/filament threads.

4 comments:

Grey Cat said...

I'm officially jealous of all that thread... My little guy keeps stealing my spools of thread, so I'm in the mood to buy some thread racks and more thread.

Joanne said...

Fantastic thread collection and so beautifully displayed!! Reminds me of a fresh box of crayons when I was little - so many possibilities! ♥

SewSofie said...

Im not jealous at all... :) I think hubby will be sent into the garage this weekend to replicate this very item! Havent seen (heard) from you of late. Hope all is ok in your part of the world.

Nina-Marie said...

Ohhhh - I love to collect threads almost as much as fabric! These are quite lovely!