Sunday, May 23, 2010

Two weeks passed...

Over two weeks have gone by since I posted last. Since then I have finished the retirement gift, driven to Ohio for a fabulous work conference where the gift quilt was given, saw my 11 year old nephew play baseball for the first time, played catch with my nephew for the first time, run in the Cleveland Half Marathon where I got a new personal best, got to work in my office with all my amazing coworkers, went to see Metric with my 14 year old niece, saw an old friend again after not seeing her for 5-6 years and driven back home where I still have not unpacked everything.

It's been a busy couple of weeks. I have photos of the gift quilt to post once I upload those on Flickr. I am always so harsh on my own work an always point out the flaws but this time I am really trying not to do that. The quilt did turn out well (although a bit narrower than I had planned) and I am pleased with the finished piece. I believe the recipient is also happy with it. Unfortunately I am terribly insecure when it comes to giving things I have made so I begin to doubt myself seconds after being told it is lovely.

Beginnings 4

This is an unfinished applique bit on the quilt. The book cover is not as horribly crooked as it looks in the photo, I just did not take a good picture. There are 13 flower and book covers on the quilt which I will hopefully post some time in the next week.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I think it's gorgeous!

I am hard on my own work too. I try to hard not to be but it's so hard. I recently read something about embroidery that made me be even harder on myself. Actually it kind of made me want to stop embroidering and pull all my pictures of it from flickr. I wish I knew how not to be so hard on myself.

SewSofie said...

You sound like me! That makes me thing that most people are hard on themselves and their work. I tend to stare too much at a piece after I've finished it and pick out all the faults.
Im loving this recent quilt. I checked out your flickr photos. Whats the story behind it?
I also love your postcard quilts. The embroidery on all your quilts is absolutely amazing! Dont be so hard on yourself

Sunshine said...

Ooh, I look forward to seeing the rest. I know what you mean about self-deprecation... I mean, no one will tell you that the gift you just gave them is *ugly*, so how do you know they mean it? For myself, I look for signs in the future, e.g. the gift shows up in a photo, indicating that it's being used, not stowed away, or a 3rd party mentions how much the gift recipient like the gift, or the recipient make the effort of telling you again, later, how much they liked the gift.. or I just trust that I knew my friend well enough to know what they like OR that they'll like the gift just because it's from ME! :)

Cheers,
Christine ;)