Monday, March 15, 2010

Reading...

In February 2009 I ordered the Kindle 2 the day it was released. Now, I am not a gadget person. I have no desire to have the most recent version of anything electronic. I didn't get a cell phone until late in the game and all I want is something that will allow me to make calls in case of emergencies. I still use my iPod from 6 years ago (although I do have a 3 year old Nano that I use when I run). I only got my own laptop when I went back to school. Hell, I'd rather chop food with a knife and cutting board instead of using a food processor. But the Kindle... once I heard people talking about them I knew I wanted one for myself.



Books are my favorite non-living things in the world. I would give up the internet, television, mac & cheese, almost everything before I'd give up my books. I never leave the house without a book in my bag and always travel with 3-4 books even though I never have enough time to finish them all. So the idea of having an entire library of my favorite books in something that weighed less than a pound (10.2 ounces, to be exact) was something I desired.

Since the Kindle arrived on my doorstep I've had a difficult time doing anything other than read. Which is rough because I really love to sew. I've worked out a schedule for both activities which seems to suit my needs but sometimes reading wins if I think about it for too long.

This year I've been keeping track of how many books and short stories I read. I know I read a lot but seeing the list, I am surprised at the actual number of items read.

Books read in 2010 so far...
January
1. Under the Dome by Stephen King
2. Hunting Love by Dana Marie Bell
3. The Maze Runner by James Dashner
4. The Shunning by Beverly Lewis
5. The Red Tree by Caitlin Kiernan
6. Soul Identity by Dennis Batchelder
7. Soul Intent by Dennis Batchelder
8. Crime Scene at Cardwell Ranch by B J Daniels
9. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick
10. The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham

February
11. Already Dead by Charlie Huston
12. In the Warrior's Bed by Mary Wine
13. Neuromancer by William Gibson

March
14. Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane
15. Going Gray: What I Learned about Beauty, Sex, Work, Motherhood, Authenticity, and Everything Else That Really Matters by Anne Kreamer
16. Anthem by Ayn Rand
17. The Dunwich Horror by H. P. Lovecraft
18. When Night Falls by Margaret Daley
19. Pretty When She Dies: A Vampire Novel by Rhiannon Frater
20. Cuts by Richard Laymon
21. Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

Twenty-one books all on my Kindle. Unfortunately I stalk the free book sites and the free offerings for Amazon Kindle books. I have over 400 books on my toy. Enough to last a couple years, at least. Not that that stops me from downloading more books. Adding new books doesn't make the Kindle any heavier and every new books means I can start a new book any time I want! 400+ books and they all fit into my purse. You can't beat that for a book lover's dream!

No comments: