Thursday, March 04, 2010

Blog overhaul...

The boy said to me a couple weeks back that I should keep a quilting blog to hold myself accountable. I started this blog originally in order to to do just that when I signed up to train with Team in Training. After I was done I mostly just let this fall by the wayside.

I started quilting by way of printmaking back in 1994. One of the projects I worked on during one of the umpteen times I took the class was a quilt design printed on paper and then pieced together. It just didn't work for me (although I did get an A on the piece) so the next project I printed on muslin. White was fine for the image I used but I decided to sign up for a surface design class where I heard there would be hand-dyeing taught. I fell in love with fabric. It went beyond printing on paper. Printmaking was just one step. Fabric could be cut, dyed, sewn, embroidered, beaded... so many possibilities! I bought a little Viking 350 and sewed everything atop my ironing board. My sewing skills were horrendous but not nearly bad enough to lower my grade below a B at the worst of times.

In 1998 I was hired full time at my current job and I ended up putting aside classes and my sewing slowed considerably. I still did some hand-dyeing on the weekends and tried my hand at making cloth dolls. But every so often I would work on art quilts. I made plenty of baby quilts that I gave away as gifts over the years. When I think back to them I shudder at the shoddy skills. I had been teaching myself quiltmaking so everything I made was another learning experience.

Over the last two years I started up sewing in earnest. I sewed quilts to raffle off for Team in Training and for my 20th high school reunion. I began focusing more on my technique in order to make something I could be proud of. It couldn't just look good, it had to be functional, durable. And now I have plastic bins of finished quilts that I can be proud of.

2010 will be the year I finally quit talking about it and actually submit an art quilt to at least one juried show. This is my 2010 resolution. And this is where I'll try and document what I do to hold myself accountable to this goal.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I wish I lived near you so you could teach me how to quilt. (I'm afraid to learn from my MIL.) I always love your quilts.

Bella Linguini said...

I would dig a quilting buddy! And maybe you could show me how to embroider. Your pieces always look so happy and fun.

Leslie said...

thanks for coming by my blog today. a art quilt to be judged sounds daunting....i look forward to seeing what you make and how it goes.