Sunday, March 21, 2010

Another one down...

Sunday I finished up the circles quilt. I whipped up a binding from the prints in the quilt top and got to work pinning and machine stitching it to the front.

IMG_4825




This time around I decided to try the machine binding tutorial from Red Pepper Quilts. Usually I machine sew the binding to the front then fold the binding over and hand sew it to the back with an invisible ladder stitch. Hand stitching a baby quilt takes a good 6+ hours and I really just had no desire to spend that kind of time when I have so many quilt tops that need sandwiched. So I gave the machine stitch tutorial a go.

IMG_4830

I made a cheater line to follow above the stitch where I machine sewed the binding to the quilt top. The fork pins are great at keeping the binding pinned down without making all those layers overly bulky. I am enamored of those pins. I need to order more because while they are nice and thin for sewing over, they do break easily if the machine needle hits it just right.

IMG_4831

The other thing about those fork pins... twice as many sharp points poking me in my hands and other soft body parts as I sew my way around the quilt. *ouch* I have bled more because of this quilt than any other I've done so far. Those needles really did a number on me as I pin basted the layers on my quilt frame!

IMG_4827

My overall thought on an all machine-sewn binding... I need more practice! The tutorial is great but I need to move the back binding bits closer to the machine sewn line. I had way too much loose binding on the back. It isn't terrible by any means. It's just that it isn't quite the look I was going for. I still prefer the hand-sewn look but perfecting the machine-sewn binding technique would really save a LOT of time. I highly recommend the tutorial (and the blog).

IMG_4833

Next up.... not the yellow & black quilt. I decided to finish up a quilt gift before I move on to anything else. It is the biggest quilt I've worked on and I have a feeling it will take forever to layer since I need to extend my quilt frame to the largest size. I hope we don't get any visitors in the next week or three!

2 comments:

SewSofie said...

HI Christine
I found your site off the sew mama sew 'winners' list. I read your profile and I thought "someone that quilts and values the same things that I do". Love your work. I especially love the wall hanging you did for 'the boy'. Is that hand stitched? its awesome.

Sunshine said...

Beautiful colour choices - are these prints from a Moda line?

Cheers,
Christine