Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Weather and race ramblings...

I have been checking the weather report every day, many times a day, since Saturday. Sunday's report has gone from cool and sunny, to cool and rainy, to warm and now to sunny and moderately humid with a high of 76. I was hoping for the low 70's but at least the rain has disappeared.

I am flipping between confidence to downright fear. There are piles of gear all over the house. There are clothes on the dining room table and after-race food on the sideboard and my packed fuel belt and running hat on the entertainment center. And every once in a while, many times a day, I wander over to the different piles and arrange things. I pick up my fuel belt and try it on. I grab both running hats and try those on. My Disney marathon hat is a heavier weight fabric than the other and I can't decide which to wear. I want Disney to focus but if the weather is too hot then the lightweight hat would be better. Then I make sure I have lip balm and $20 in my wristpack.

Next is the clothing. Weather determines capris or shorts. No question on the shirt, I wear my purple Team in Training tee. Two pair of socks are sitting out on top of two sports bras. Do I wear a headband thingy to keep stray hair and sweat out of my eyes? I check the clothing, folding and refolding to make the pile look neater.

I'm lucky that the boy agrees to carry my backpack full of items instead of me having to check gear. And I'm lucky he goes with me and drives so I never have to worry about parking. He drops me off and finds a place and that way I am never late.

This week I've been trying to be mindful about hydration and food. I'm reading and rereading all my TNT emails and websites about race prep. I'm trying to to get down on myself over speed and just focusing on what I've trained to do. I know where my weaknesses lie. I know the problems I've had during my training and I'm aware of what I need to do to get past them.

I still need to find a running song since there are no MP3 players allowed. So far my mind won't let go of the Cure's "Fire in Cairo". Maybe I should pick something a little speedier like the White Stripe's "Icky Thump". I wonder what the BPM is for those songs... maybe an intense NIN song is what I need. For the half marathon I had the Dresden Dolls' "Girl Anachronism" but I think I need a new song for this race.

In case anyone other than me is keeping count, I've participated in the following races this year:
  1. Disney Marathon - January 13
  2. St. Patty's Day5k - March 16
  3. Race to Wrigley 5k - April 13
  4. United Run for the Zoo 10k - June 1
  5. Chicago Distance Classic Half Marathon - August 10
  6. Nike+ Human Race - August 31
Coming up next are the following:
  1. Chicago Marathon in 3 days and 20-some hours
  2. Trick or Treat Trot 5k - October 26
  3. Turkey Trot 8k - November 27
That all adds up to 8 wonderful technical tees (the St. Patty's Day tee was just a long-sleeve cotton tee)! I have quite the collection!

I have to keep signing up for races so I have a reason to continue running. I'm a pretty lazy person so I need those incentives. Especially when I am going to go back to Disney and finish that damned marathon!

No comments: