Monday, October 20, 2008

Planning... planning... planning...

I've decided to do the Chicago marathon again next year. It really was a great race, no matter how slow I was. And I am trying to decide on another race in the spring. So far I am considering the Flying Pig in Cincinnati on May 3rd, the Madison Marathon* on May 25th, the Cleveland marathon on May 17th and the Illinois marathon on April 11th. The Flying Pig has a great medal and a 3 mile, almost 400 foot elevation. That just looks scary! The Illinois marathon will be the inaugural run which could be scary. Madison is beautiful and Cleveland, well Cleveland would be near my family. So it's all a toss-up. But Chicago is a definite.

Yesterday the boy, the pups and I went hiking in Palos/Sag Valley Forest Preserve. It was so pretty out there with the bright sunlight and the trees in their fall colors. I love the fall. I love the chill in the air and the smell of the leaves and apples and apple cider! Fall is an excuse to shuffle my feet through all the leaves on the sidewalk. Unfortunately the fall also signals the constant pain I will feel in my fingers and toes due to that damned Raynaud's (I have primary Raynaud's). And yes, my fingers do look like the photos on that page. Even air conditioning in the summer can trigger an attack. Anyway... the hike was amazing and very hilly which I am so not used to. Months of running but on totally flat terrain. One hill was so steep and soooo high that I had to stop mid-way. I wish the park were closer (it's about an hour drive with traffic) because it would be a great training path. I may still go there although the snow may make it too slippery to run on.

I cannot believe the year is almost over. I've already done some holiday shopping so I don't have much more to go. And I need to send out an email with my holiday gift idea since there is only one thing I want. Only I hate doing that because gifts are not a requirement for the holidays, they are special. Only I am trying to whittle down my belongings because I don't need so many things in my life tying me down. Except books. And while I get embarassed receiving gifts, I hate getting things I do not need. If I need something I purchase it for myself. And I've become VERY finicky about things lately. I remember moving from my first apartment and everything I own fit into my Chevy Cavalier. I can't do that now and that is kind of sad. So anyway, I am trying to tell myself it is okay to say "hey, this is what I want" in order to not have to deal with things I do not want or need.

No comments: