Saturday, July 19, 2008

12 miles...

Actually, I only made it 11 miles but that was due to a foot injury, alas.

I learned something today, it isn't too terrible to run in the rain. And boy howdy did it rain! It never stopped raining. It rained hard and it rained gently. It rained straight down and it rained at an angle. It rained, rained and rained some more.

Unfortunately this rain caused huge, deep rivers all over the crushed limestone path. My shoes were filled with limey water and the grit got all over my legs and ankles. This grit rubbed up against my ankle where my shoe and ankle met up and how I have major gravel rash on my right foot.

This wet shoe problem had me slipping and sliding inside my shoes and I ended up bruising the top of my right foot pretty bad. It's not a visible bruise as though I whacked it into a wall but more of a muscle and tendon bruise and every time my shoe met the top of my foot I was in pain. I'm not sure if it was due to wet shoes or dodging massive puddles or a combination of both but now my foot is in agony. Any pressure on the top of my foot makes me wince (not to mention the grit rubbing on my ankle *eep*). I noticed it around mile 7 and tried pushing through. By mile 10 I was crying and trying to figure out how to step without antagonizing my foot. I had to turn around and head back.

I spoke with one of the coaches and he said to ice it and see what happens. I did remember to ice it when I got home so hopefully that helped. I'll keep icing this week because I am rearranging my long run and doing that on Thursday since my folks and niece are coming out to visit. Yay!!

As always, there is still time to donate to The Leukemia & Lymphoma's Team in Training!! Please consider sponsoring me as I run the Chicago Distance Classic half marathon and the Bank of America Chicago marathon with Team in Training!

And big thanks to my Aunt Lisa for her donation! Thank you my aunt!!!

No comments: