Monday, June 16, 2008

What I learned on Saturday...

Since my sister had asked...
Last week I decided to do a little test. I wanted to see if I could eat cooked veggies or if cooked and raw would be a problem during a run. So Friday night I grilled chicken and asparagus and made these yummy smashed potatoes from The Pioneer Woman's site. (I love Pioneer Woman, I really do! Her recipes make me wish the boy were a carnivore so I could make those yummy beef dishes.) Anyway, I ate maybe 3-4 asparagus spears which I'd overcooked kind of on purpose. Tasty chicken and potatoes and veggies! It's just so wrong not to eat veggies even for one day.

And it is still wrong for me to eat veggies, be they cooked or raw, the night before a long run.

I was trying to hard to keep with my pacing and 30 minutes into the run (we did 60 minutes on Saturday) I was just not feeling happy. It was Disney all over again. I managed to walk the last 30 minutes at a fast pace but now I know. Veggies are the devil! And this makes me sad.

I still have these issues even without veggies unfortunately, it's just that veggies make things 100 times worse. I am one of the smallish percentage who gets the urge no matter what. I've tried taking Pepto and Imodium but those really don't solve the problem at hand. I'll have to talk with my doctor and see what she can do.

Another problem has presented itself. I get exercise headaches after a run. Horrible migraines that only go away after I take 6+ Excedrin Migraine tablets. I am hydrated so that is not the issue. I believe it is due to my core not being strong. We had Athletico come in the past two Saturdays for clinics and between those and what I've been reading online, when my running muscles tire out, other muscles try to compensate even though they aren't "running muscles". I shoulders and neck get tense and help to bring about the killer headaches. I need to strengthen my core muscles which in turn help those running muscles. Everything works together!

It's funny, that. This all started out so simple: I would train to run the Disney marathon with my sister and mom. My failure is making me learn more about myself and my body. It's not as easy as going out and running when you've been sedentary all your life.

Just as an interesting read, check out Mr. Marathoner. It's about a 392 pound man who attempted the Disney marathon this year and got pulled out at mile 2. And he is also training in order to return and conquer Disney in 2009. I don't plan on returning until I am 40 (or 42 since that is the answer to the ultimate question) and then I want to do the Goofy where you run the half marathon on Saturday and the full marathon on Sunday. Maybe I can go at 40 for the full and 42 for the Goofy.

There is still time!! Please consider sponsoring me as I run the Chicago Distance Classic half marathon and the Bank of America Chicago marathon with Team in Training!

And super big thanks to Bob and Denise for their donation!

No comments: