Friday, March 14, 2008

48 hours to go...

This time on Sunday I will be nearing completion of my first 5k. I am really looking forward to the race even though it is just a short run. After the race there is a brunch at a local restaurant/brewery. Free beverage with my bib! This week was finals week at NU so Sunday's event is like a celebration for that also. And Saturday we are taking the two pups and going hiking after I pick up my race packet. I missed last Sunday's weekly Puppies/Pancakes/Park event. We take the dogs, get some brunch pancakes and head to a nature preserve/national park to go hiking. That's become my favorite park about weekends.

Unfortunately, due to it being finals week, I never made it to the gym. Not once. I spent in, then started work, then worked on my paper and studied for the exam. I feel very positive about the exam and I am glad that I wrote my paper on what I believed rather than what I thought the professor wanted to hear. Even if it gets me a poor grade, I know that what I learned and wrote about is real (modern intensive agriculture and the loss of biodiversity).

I also spoke with a classmate who, upon hearing what I did for a living and what I was in school for, said "you're just a do-gooder then, aren't you!" It made me laugh because I never really see myself like that. Certain things are important to me but I don't see it as doing good. I can't even think of myself as a runner even though I run races. I just think of myself as someone without a lot of motivation who loves to read and play with her dogs. Hell, I've been married almost 16 years and I never even think of myself as married!

Life is funny like that.

No comments: